Sunday, June 13, 2010

Lunch with my family

Went to sydney to meet up with my sisters and my mum. The motivation for this family get together was mums 79th birthday. As in all family celebrations this one was fraught with emotional mine fields, and didnt we have fun circumnavigating them. We have the overweight darked haired housewife, the blonde business women and the blonde teacher who is head of middle school. Three guesses for which one I am. :) All vieing for approval , acceptance from each other and their elderly (sorry mum)mother. Normally I feel as if I come bottom of the heap but this day I think I won, who would have thought an elegant photo of the birthday girl with her character lines thrown into relief by the sun (and a brilliant photographer) would not have been recieved with appropriate fervour. In all honesty the shot is a stunning one and it was hard to understand my mothers utterd "I didnt think I looked like that!" As grateful as I am for the photo giving me an edge in the familial stakes, I also appreciated the lesson. Which of us wants to be reminded of our perceived flaws? And when I look at mine can I see them through the same vasline lens that my sisters and I applied when when viewing the photo of our mum?

No comments:

Post a Comment